Saturday 20 September 2008

The walk from Shaftesbury Avenue to Winsley St


On average I would take the walk from Shaftesbury Avenue (bottom of Neal Street) to Winsley Street at least three or four times a week. My circuitous route would invariably lead me down Tin Pan Alley via Andy's Guitar Shop and the row upon row of Gretsch's and Rickenbackers, Foyle's (upstairs to Ray's Jazz), the Pillars of Hercules, Soho Square, The Ship in Wardour Street (with or without accompanying A-Bomb).

I would then execute a deft sidestep into Universal Sounds for an hour or so to ponder the tip-top tunes and then wend my way up Berwick Street (pop my head into Mr Eddie's), then back down Poland St to Yo! Sushi (if time allowed) or up onto Oxford St (via HMV's Jazz section) into the hidden mists of Winsley Street. Every time I stepped out, the thrill of living in London seeped into my soul once again. Magical days!

No comments: