Thursday 1 September 2011

All back to my place

In which AF reveals the sonic delights guaranteed to get him going...

What music are you currently grooving to?
I’m always buying music, following up recommendations or reviews. So, currently I’ve gone back and rediscovered the Kyoto Jazz Massive, Anne Briggs and ESG. I’m also listening to the Ghostpoet album, Kraftwerk, & Neu. As well as the Arctic Monkeys and Miles Kane albums to cover off the suited & booted mod rock angle.

What, if push comes to shove is your all time favourite album?
I always say it is most probably All Mod Cons by The Jam, it had such a strong influence on me at the time and opened me up to poetry, love, feedback, Rickenbackers and a healthy dose of cynicism. Although on any given day it could be Fabulous by Prince Buster, Y by The Pop Group or Sextet by ACR.

What was the first record you ever bought? And where did you buy it?
I bought two T.Rex 7” singles at the same time from upstairs at Boots in Eastbourne. 20th Century Boy & Solid Gold Easy Action, both had the red & blue matching sleeve & label with Marc Bolan's face on it. Top tunes!

Which musician have you wanted to be?
For too many years I had a rather unhealthy obsession with all things Paul Weller (he was like the elder brother I didn’t have). But since growing up a little and appreciating musicians for other than their wardrobe I would be quite happy being Johnny Marr or Morrissey, Damon Albarn or Graham Coxon, Joe Strummer or Slim Gaillard, Bert Jansch, Mark E Smith or Wild Billy Childish or any member of A Certain Ratio.

What do you sing in the shower?
Often a hotchpotch of nonsense, sort of Kurt Schwitters meets The Temptations. Failing that I often sing; Human Touch by Pocketsize, Sunset Coming On by Albarn on Mali Music plus a mangled version of either Louie Louie or Fever.

What is your favourite Saturday night record?
Don’t make me wait by The Peech Boys makes me feel damn funky, Louie Louie never fails to gee me up and Capital Radio by The Clash has a similar effect!

And your Sunday morning record?
Sunday Morning by The Velvets of course. Or more likely a heavy blast of reggae especially; Augustus Pablo, Linton Kwesi Johnson or Reggae Chartbusters vol 2 (Longshot, It mek, Reggae in your jeggae etc). Concorde by Modern Jazz Quartet is in the mix too, but most probably better on a Monday morning!


(Thank you to Mojo Magazine for allowing the reproduction of this interview).

No comments: