Sunday 18 August 2019

I am English, I loved England & everything about it but...

The ironic thing about this blog is that when I first moved to Australia, my homesickness manifested itself in a number if rather alarming ways that I now shudder at. I would blithely wear English sporting attire at any opportunity (well, our cricket team was better then - although Joffra Archer's wonderful performance at Lords might suggest better things are still to come). I would openly display a Union flag and felt compelled to pick holes in my current circumstances and compare everything unfavourably to 'back home'. 

This was partly triggered by the sense of displacement I felt but equally it was a response to the the local Australian pride in their own  country. As time passed on, I would head back to the UK ostensibly to 'work' but more often than not, just to stock up on all the invaluable items I could not purchase in Sydney. Including (in no particular order of preference: Fred Perry t-shirts, Trickers Brogues, Marmite, John Smedley, decent selvedge Levis...). Sure there were a few quirky aspects that made me uncomfortable but I could even (very vaguely) tolerate those funny but obviously mad little Englander types like that odious little twerp Farage (rhymes with Garage) and that blithering buffoon Johnson. Only be cause they were harmless idiots! 


I am English, I loved England and everything about it!


But then...


A pack of lies, Russian influence, neo-con posturing, talk of Project Fear, the supine leadership of another Etonian dimwit Cameron, the ghastly horror of Prime Minister May the walking mothball, a misguided and lazy Labour opposition and now Britain finds itself staring down the barrel of abject disaster and humiliation. No deal = no medicine, food shortages, fuel shortages, port blockades, civil disobedience etc etc. This will be followed by a hard border for Northern Ireland, the return of the troubles (a few unsettled scores there), Scottish independence.... None of which is fantasy any more. 

We have the most right-wing government in Britain's history. We have two openly extremist political parties in the Brexit Party and UKIP. The members of whom actively share platforms with various Neo-Nazi groups including but not exclusive to the holocaust denying AfD of Germany... The sight of Anne Widdecombe and the rest of the Brexit Party turning their back on the European Union anthem is the most soul-destroying thing I have ever witnessed (and don't forget I once sat through a Tears for Fears gig, so I've suffered)! Ok, that is me being trite and frivolous... 

The prospect of martial law being imposed after the 31st October however is decidedly not funny and a real prospect. The fact that this scenario was given legitimate credence by of all things the Brexit championing The Sun might not mean it is true but does suggest it is on the agenda. Martial Law in Britain? Soldiers on the streets to stop riots and looting, where does it end?... Truly the stuff of a far-fetched dystopian nightmare. 


I am English, I loved England and everything about it!

But now...


I am English, I loved England and I am now aghast, horrified and feel utterly betrayed.


No comments: