Friday 25 November 2022

Honest Playlist - The Guardian

The first single I bought

As previously covered in 13 songs, I actually bought 2 singles the first time I went record buying, both 7’s were by T.Rex one was ‘20th Century Boy’ and the other was ‘Solid Gold Easy Action’. Two fine slabs of glam and a perfect way to start a record collection. Sadly, both were lost in one of my numerous 1980’s house moves.

My karaoke go-to

Despite singing live in bands for years, I don’t really enjoy karaoke. However, ‘Avenues & Alleyways’ by Tony Christie is my nailed on go to track, solely because it was Ray Winstone’s character in “Love, Honour & Obey” choice of Karaoke number. Also, it has got a soaring aspect to it that even I struggle to suppress. 

I did have the distinct pleasure though of once singing in Tokyo Karaoke Club, whilst on holiday with my ex-wife. The song that time? ‘Anarchy in the UK’ of course!

The song I inexplicably know every lyric to

Well, hardly inexplicably, more inevitably. ‘Down in the Tube Station at Midnight’ is lodged well and truly on my mental hard drive. Weller’s classic tale of late-night violence on the London Underground is full of rich imagery and suburban misery. A beautiful prose poem set to a jagged rush post-punk groove. “… they smelt of pubs and Wormwood Scrubs and too many right-wing meetings”. Superb! 

Everyone in my school year knew the full lyrics. One enterprising pupil copied it lock, stock and barrel for his English O- level when challenged to write either an essay or a poem about a train or bus terminus. He got an A pass! 

The last song I streamed

Most probably Walking Home by my own band The Butterfly House. Not for any reasons of vanity I’m just determined to see if I can actually ever receive a single payment from Spotify or iTunes. After 3 years streaming, no luck yet!

The best song to play at a party

Either ‘Get up offa that thing’ by James Brown, ‘Long Shot Kick de Bucket’ by The Pioneers or ‘Al Capone’ by Prince Buster would be my first choices. You can’t really go wrong with the Godfather of Soul or indeed any Ska/BlueBeat. The infectious rhythm of Ska will make any party go! 

The song I’d want for my stadium entrance music

I have absolutely no desire for stadium entrance music, although if contractually obligated then it would most probably be one of the following: Henry Purcell’s Music for the funeral of Queen Mary (The title music from A Clockwork Orange) or The Blue Blue Third by Rip, Rig & Panic 

The songs I want played at my funeral

·       You only live twice - Nancy Sinatra

·       Au fond du Temple Saint – Bizet

·       Jerusalem – William Blake

·       Sweet Soul Music – Arthur Conley

·       Boy about town – The Jam

·       Plus plus….

The song I can’t help singing

I do have a very annoying tendency to sing gibberish songs but I often find myself coming back to ‘Guantanamera’, which is a very annoying earworm. Failing that ‘Bed & Breakfast Man’ by Madness is never too far from my lips.

The song I can’t stand

I’m not a fan of ‘We are the champions’, a ghastly pompous dirge and whilst I am fond of The Beatles, ‘Hey Jude’ bloody annoys me (most probably through too many listens). But neither of those two songs come anywhere near annoying me as much as the trad. folk song ‘Greensleeves’. 

I feel physically repulsed by it. It reminds me, even now, of late Sunday afternoon’s in Langney and the rogue ice cream van heralding the end of the weekend and the impending doom of the school week. Also, apparently it was possibly written by Henry VIII, which is certainly no recommendation. Even writing about it makes me feel sick. 

The song I pretend to hate that I secretly like

That’s a tough question because I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to music. I don’t pretend to hate stuff. It either resonates or it grates, It either elevates/inspires me or means nothing. 

I suppose this is the guilty pleasures question. I think we are all old enough now to be confident to say, “I love Miles Davis and Haircut 100 equally” and if you don’t like that, you have the problem not me. I reckon this is the best thing learned from the NME Penman/Morley/Errol years. When they championed Joy Division & Dollar in equal measure. That and never take Coke! 

So, can’t really answer this... And from that perspective the next two answers might be shorter than some. 

The song I tell people is my favourite

Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks (see 13 songs)

My actual favourite song

...

Featuring Andy Franks

No comments: