Wednesday 10 June 2009

Record Shops

Cramped, shimmering temples of the soul

I remember going to visit Paul Murphy's record shop, somewhere on Berwick Street. Past the The Blue Posts, by the market, in the door, down some steps and there they were, laid out before me like a thousand ebony stars fallen from the skies. Records by artists I'd never heard of, from countries far and wide, just stacked waiting for me to discover. And I stayed there for hours pondering which ones to buy, hoping against hope that I'd find an extra tenner in my pocket. Rent, schment!

It wasn't just Paul, the Portobello Road had some fine secrets hidden away too as did the back street lanes of Brighton, the second hand stores of Old Town, Paris, Melrose Avenue - Where I finally tracked down two copies of Dizzy on the Riviera!

No special offers, 2 for 1 DVD honey traps. Just good honest record shops, selling the key to my soul.

All hail Murphy, Rough Trade, Soul Jazz, Mambo, Honest John's etc etc!

No comments: