Saturday 29 February 2020

The Island of Pointless Romantic Gestures (Recollections #3)

February 29th - Bachelor's Day - Postscript

The years have skidded by, like clouds over the Sussex Downs.

Aphrodite moved out of her flat the day after she'd come to mine. She moved to Denmark Hill in London before I'd had a chance to even speak with her. Her friends were loyal and mine were dumbfounded.

Every leap year I would recall the whole day in painful and pointless detail. Every year I would make sure I had fresh coffee, croissants and flowers. I made sure my friends all had my latest address. I even tidied my rooms and if it was a work day then I'd either book it off or phone in sick.

Every leap year, I waited for her to come and to ask me the question.

I am home all day today. I have coffee, croissants and flowers.




No comments: